Drupal, one of the most popular content management systems, continues to evolve with each new version release. Upgrading to the latest version ensures that your website remains secure, up-to-date, and equipped with the latest features. In this blog post, we will walk you through the process of upgrading your Drupal 9 site to Drupal 10, highlighting the key steps and considerations along the way, with a focus on how your website should upgrade before Drupal 9 reaches its end of life in November 2023.
Why Should You Upgrade to Drupal 10
The end of life for Drupal 9 in November 2023 has several consequences for website owners and developers who are still using Drupal 9. Here are some key implications of Drupal 9 reaching its end of life:
- No More Official Support: After the end of life date, the Drupal community will no longer provide official support for Drupal 9. This means that there will be no more bug fixes, security updates, or new features released for Drupal 9. Websites running on Drupal 9 will be more vulnerable to security risks and may encounter compatibility issues with other software components over time.
- Security Risks: Without regular security updates, Drupal 9 websites will become more susceptible to vulnerabilities and exploits. As new security threats emerge, there won't be any official patches or fixes provided by the Drupal community to address these issues. This makes it crucial to upgrade to a supported version like Drupal 10 to ensure ongoing security for your website.
- Lack of Compatibility: As the web ecosystem evolves, Drupal 9 may face compatibility issues with newer versions of PHP, libraries, modules, and themes. These compatibility gaps can lead to functionality problems, performance issues, or even website downtime. Upgrading to Drupal 10 ensures compatibility with the latest technologies and modules, reducing the risk of compatibility conflicts.
- Limited Community Support: With the end of life of Drupal 9, the community's focus will shift towards supporting Drupal 10 and future versions. The availability of community support, including forums, documentation, and expert advice, for Drupal 9 will decrease significantly. It may become increasingly challenging to find assistance or resources for maintaining and troubleshooting Drupal 9 websites.
- Missed Features and Enhancements: Drupal 10 will introduce new features, improvements, and performance enhancements that will benefit website owners and users. By not upgrading, Drupal 9 users will miss out on these advancements, which could potentially impact the competitiveness and functionality of their websites.
Step-by-Step Guide: Upgrading to Drupal 10
Upgrading Drupal from version 9 to version 10 is a multi-step process that involves several different tasks. The process is similar to upgrading Drupal 8 to version 9 so if you already upgraded your Drupal 8 website to version 9, doing an upgrade to version 10 should be relatively easy. Follow simple steps to upgrade from Drupal 9 to Drupal 10, including checking system requirements, updating contributed modules and themes, and running the necessary update commands. Here's a general outline of the steps you’ll need to follow for a smooth transition to Drupal 10:
Step 1: Review System Requirements:
- Verify that your hosting environment meets the requirements for Drupal 10. Check the PHP version, extensions or libraries and other dependencies.
Step 2: Update Contributed Modules and Themes:
- Ensure that all contributed modules and themes used in your Drupal 9 site have compatible versions for Drupal 10.
- Visit the project pages of each module and theme to verify compatibility with Drupal 10. If there is no compatible version, look for alternatives or contact module/theme maintainers for information about Drupal 10 readiness.
Step 3: Update Custom Code:
- Review and update any custom code, including custom modules and themes, to ensure compatibility with Drupal 10.
- Refer to the Drupal 10 documentation and API changes for information on deprecated functions, removed code, and any necessary adjustments in your custom code.
Step 4: Backup Your Site:
- Before proceeding with the upgrade, create a complete backup of your Drupal 9 site, including the database and files. This ensures that you can revert back to a working state if any issues arise during the upgrade process.
Step 5: Upgrade Drupal Core:
- First, update your Drupal core and its dependencies. Refer to the example below:
composer require drupal/core-recommended:9.5.9 drupal/core-composer-scaffold:9.5.9 drupal/core-project-message:9.5.9 --update-with-all-dependencies
- Now, run the below command to update to Drupal 10:
composer require drupal/core-recommended:^10.0 drupal/core-composer-scaffold:^10.0 drupal/core-project-message:^10.0 --no-update --update-with-all-dependencies
- Then command the Composer to try and resolve and download all the new code:
composer update --lock
- When the previous step is successful, you'll see the following output:
- Upgrading drupal/core-dev (9.5.9 => 10.0.4)
- If Composer was successful at upgrading your site's dependencies to Drupal 10, you’ll be required to check for database updates and clear the cache using the Drush command:
- When your site is successfully upgraded into drupal 10, you will see the below screen in the report generated:
After updating Drupal core, it's crucial to review and address any compatibility issues. Some contributed modules or custom code may need adjustments to work properly with the new version. Check the release notes and project pages of your installed modules and themes for guidance on resolving compatibility issues.
Upgrading from Drupal 9 to Drupal 10 is an important step to keep your website secure and up-to-date with the latest features. With Drupal 9 reaching its end of life in November 2023, it becomes even more crucial to complete the upgrade before that date.
By following these steps, reviewing system requirements, updating contributed modules and themes, addressing compatibility issues, testing the site, and deploying the upgrade, you can successfully transition your Drupal 9 site to Drupal 10 and ensure ongoing support and security for your website. Remember to consult the official Drupal documentation and seek assistance from the Drupal community if you encounter any difficulties during the upgrade process. For more information and expert advice, reach out to experts at Srijan for a seamless Drupal 9 to 10 migration and efficient Drupal migration services. We’ll be glad to help you out!